Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Colorado Elk:  Unit 67? >

Colorado Elk: Unit 67?

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Colorado Elk: Unit 67?

Old 06-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Colorado Elk: Unit 67?

Got an either sex permit for unit 67 and was curious about general information for this unit. Will be doing a self-guided hunt with a very helpful rancher but would love just some general info about this unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Not looking for your special spot, just general info....number of elk, liklihood of success, etc. Thanks!

Chris
Old 06-17-2003, 08:58 PM

Default RE: Colorado Elk: Unit 67?

Hunted that area a few years back as a non-resident with a bull only permit. In a camp of 4 guys we saw elk everyday but never any shooters. Going back to that area this year since I moved to Colorado last year. Will be doing some scouting of the area soon. I hope that we see as many this year. 2 of us going and both have cow permits. We' ll see.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

Great....thanks for your response. We have 2 either sex tags and one cow tag. We are really looking forward to a great hunt!
Old 06-21-2003, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Clattan, I' ve hunted 67 for over 10 years. The quality of bulls in the area isn' t real great, this may start to change now that this unit has become draw area only. I haven' t checked in about 5 years, but the b/c ratio was about 15 bulls to 100 cows, which is terrible if you' re looking for big mature bulls. Our group, sometimes upto 8 guys, has never come home with less than 50% kill, including bulls and cows. My uncle has hunted that same area for nearly 35 years, and has only killed one 6x6. The only other 6x6 that our group has gotten was mine about 7 years ago. The first season often will have bulls still doing some bugling early in the mornings, so get out early and listen. If you are looking to kill a cow, there is really know reason why you shouldn' t be able to, as there are alot of elk around. Find a good spot to sit in the mornings and eves. and still hunt in the afternoon, and you should see elk. We have always hunted around the Saw Tooth Mtn. area, which is limited in roads, but this also limits hunters. Bring some good pack frames, get away from the road, and you won' t see too many other hunters, and you should see elk. Good Luck!
Old 06-26-2003, 04:14 PM

drop me a line [email protected]
Old 07-03-2003, 08:14 PM

Chris:Which season? 67 has a crazy variety of terrain and elevations. It is also HUGE. Time of season (and weather) often has great bearing on where they hang (like most places)...Lots of elk in far flung pockets. Lots of private in-holdings too. Many of which are not only private, but severe. Like Devil' s Hole. I' ve latched onto another either sex tag for 67 this year, but will hunt it in 3rd season for the first time ever.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

We' re hunting the second season (Oct 18-26) and are going to be staying at Quarter Circle Ranch which is south down 114 near Van Tassle Gulch (straight south of Dome Lakes SWA). Don' t know where we' ll be hunting from there (we are doing self-guided although they will give us suggestions of places to go). We are really looking forward to it!

Thanks for the great info!! What' s your input on the bull/cow ratio and liklihood of success for this type of hunt?

Chris
Old 07-22-2003, 01:06 PM

Contact the CDOW for bull to cow ratios. I can tell you that from my personal experience, that it is not great. Like some of these other guys, I would recommend concentrating on Sawtooth Mtn. although it is the busiest protion of the unit. I like the more remote sections, but the elk tend to be more spread out and harder to locate. Good Luck! Let us know how you do.