Thread: T/C Hawkens
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 11:55 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: T/C Hawkens

ORIGINAL: SHulion

Cayugad,

Does the Maxi ball require a patch or is it just a conical. Why did you only suggest 60 gr of powder with the Maxi-Ball? I do remember it shooting the .490 patched round ball really well. I would just love to kill a deer with this gun since it came from my dad. I never had the chance to shoot at one when I was younger. Any other projectiles that you would recommend.
No, the maxiball is a lubed conical and does not require a patch. Just dump the powder down the barrel and seat the bullet on top of the powder charge. The reason I suggested 60 grains is.. this would be a start. A lot of maxiball shoot real well in the 1-48 twist with a charge around 70-80 grains. Since 777 is 15% stronger then most powders, to start your finding the right load, you drop the charge a little. If you want to start at 70 that would be fine. My friend shoots 70 grain of Pyrodex RS and a maxiball out of his. He blew right through a LARGE buck that was 73 yards broadside. He said he never saw such a blood trail. He's even used this load on black bear. He said it is all he needs for that conical.

Some other conicals to try, Hornady Great Plains, Powerbelts, Bull Shop conicals (check with Sabotloader on this.. he can tell you a charge and the 460 grain conical he shoots out of his Renegade which is basically the same thign you have). And we shoot REAL concials that I cast out of ours. Most of my group shoots .54 caliber (because of me) and we shoot the 300 grain so in the .50 caliber case that would be the 280 grain. They also make a 320 grain you can cast. I have the molds but would have to see.. I think I shot them all up. And am waiting for some cool weather before I cast again.