HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Signs of Illinois Rut
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Lady Forge
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Signs of Illinois Rut

Yesterday in Piatt County at 7:30am I had a Doe in heat come in with a nice 8 pointer at 25 yards. The Doe would bed and the 8 pointer would stomp at her to get her up she would go a couple of yards and then bed again. I had decided the mature 8 pointer had the mass and tine length but lacked the inside spread of a buck I wanted to take. So I was content to just enjoy watching...... until I noticed the 8 pointer looking back , I then saw a wide 10 pointer with great mass and long brow tines..... yep he was a shooter. The 8 pointer wouldnt leave the doe but he keep turning and brisstling up at the 10 pointer. The 10 pointercame into 20 yards but the only shot he gave me was straight head on... I waited until he turned and by the time he was standing still and broadside he was 35 yards so I shot but my arrow diflected on a twig and I hit him in the hip with what appeared to be ony 3 inches of penertration[:@]2 friends on the same property as me saw him walk by thier stands after I shot him and both concured with only a few inches of arrow penertration and said he wasnt even limping.So it was only a flesh wound with a blod trail that soon petered out.[:@]As for not triming shooting lanes????( We are not allowed to trim shooting lanes on the property I bowhunt )
The action here is defenitly heating up!!!!!!!!!!!!!