HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mid October Elk Hunting Techniques?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 01:52 PM
wyomingtrapper
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mid October Elk Hunting Techniques?

Calling can be productive, but you need to be conservative and subtle. I've had the odd bull bugle during mid to late October, but not often. Occassionally a cow will mew a response. It doesn't hurt to let an occassional, hesitant, cow call loose.

Friend and I sat down on a hill side at about 10:30 last Saturday and he let out one mew. We just sat enjoying the sun and scenery. Long story short of it: Within a minute I could hear animals running in. By the time I stood up, there were two elk within 40 yards, coming in strong. That is not the norm. We knew elk were in the area, and given some shooting going one, they'd been pushed around. This cow and her calf had, no doubt, been seperated from some others, and come in to his mew to regroup.

Mid day hunting can be productive, but you will need to probably push some timber and go slow. If you are pushing them around, you are moving too quickly. If you do spook some out, don't assume they are a lost cause. They are spooky from the pressure and may not even have a clue what you were. Sometimes they don't go far. Keep hunting thier direction, go slow, and stop and glass ahead alot.