HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hey all - new bowhunter here
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 01:54 PM
vicrzr
Spike

Default RE: Hey all - new bowhunter here

Anyone want to grade me on how I'm doing so far? Please feel free - I'd like the feedback since I don't have a live 'mentor' or anyone to shoot the **** with on this subject...

I have very limited times to go into the woods - basically I'm taking Wednesday mornings off and then I have to go into work in the afternoon(unless I get a kill). So last week, I was at the Northern end of Field 1 (see pic above - I settled on field 1 just cuz it had been freshly cut and none of the other fields have been yet) on the ground and behind some good cover. I had gotten there way before light and setup so there were no leaves or noise makers underfoot and I also cleared some shooting lanes through the brush and set up some distance markers. 3 does entered the field on the south end and meandered back and forth through the field and then left the field about midway through to the east - they never came close enough for a shot. That was all that happened that day.

So today, I figured I would set up on the South side near where those 3 does came into the field. Again, I cleared out a good area behind brush and then built up some more cover with some small branches, etc. I did all this before first light and was sitting and ready to go at dawn. I didn't see anything but birds today. The air was moving from North to South, so I was good with that. I'm pretty sure that I was well hidden - I did my best. I'm somewhat disappointed that I didn't see anything at all. I was kind of noisy setting up this time - I'm hoping I didn't spook anything.

So, should I stick with the spot knowing that I've seen deer go into that field? I suppose that I will - I only have about two more opportunities to go out there, so changing things up now probably won't get me anywhere. Should I set up on the south side like I did today?

Any advice is gratefully accepted.

Thanks