HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - poor penetration
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 01:33 PM
bowdoc1

Default RE: poor penetration

I"m only 5"6" and draw a 27 3/4 inch 400 axis at 415 grains at 70 lbs draw weight and never have had a problem blowing through deer. I have even over the year**** a couple shoulder blades andhad pass throughs. Poundage, arrows and which broad heads play a part in penetration along with many other factors. Isaw a womans arrow pass through a buck at 25 yards and skip off the ground once with a 35 lb compound, very tiny around carbon arrow, cut on impact broadheadsand a 25 inch draw. Maybe your bow is not tuned well and the arrow had not got straightened out when it hit at 10 yards and you would of got better penetration out at 15 are 20 yards. I always can remember onetime back in the 70"s hitting a buck at about 40 yards with a 65 lb recurve and the arrow got through the shoulder blade on the exit side and a week later out of state shooting a buck at15 yards hitting the shoulder and the arrow only went in broadhead deep and bounce out of the buck. You got the deer. Check your bow out and make sure it's in tune and than move on. Arrows will do funnythings some times on a hit.