HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - poor penetration
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 12:04 PM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: poor penetration

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

How much do your arrows weigh? What kind of speed are you getting from your bow?

My bow is at 43lbs. I have just under 40 foot pounds of energy. I have a 26" draw (or 25.5" can't remember).
I use 125 grain, 3 blade muzzys with 1 3/16" cutting diameter. My total arrow weight is 368 grains.

My arrow passes completely through most every deer I shoot.

If I had to guess, I'd say you're arrows are not flying straight or they are way too light.
Good Point Christine, I'm seriously in doubt that it's the bow, but I'd have to see the shot placement to say for sure.

If you're 5'11" I think someone measured you wrong to put you in a 26.5" draw, unless you have really short arms, you should be at LEAST a 27.5, I'm just a hair short of 6' even, and I can comfortably draw and shoot a 31" bow of my buddy's when he's having issues and needs another set of hands to tinker. Are your arrows flying true??? I've seen quite a whip on arrows getting fletch contact, my own several times as well as others, that may make that arrow hit the deer when it's flight is erratic, which would certainly create penetration issues. Have you ever filmed your release or do you have someone that can to see if the arrow is coming out of the bow true and clean??? You could always do the foot powder or lipstick test and see if you don't have a little contact issue. That will screw up a LOT of things!!!