HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 300 yard accuracy?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 09:46 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 300 yard accuracy?

ORIGINAL: dbblung

What is a reasonable expectation as far as group size for a hunting rifle fired from the bench at 300 yards? I am using a 4.5x14 scope without any reticle compensation marks.
"IN theory", a rifle which will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards will shoot 3" groups at 300 yards. Note I said "in theory". The actualy truth is that a rifle that shoots 1" groups @ 100 yards can very well shoot groups smaller than 3" @ 300, BUT it might just as easily shoot groups twice that size, or larger.

Now, I am speaking of machine-rest shooting in a tunnel where there is no wind to affect bullet flight, and there's n human error either.

When you are shooting out in the open, using a scope sight, you are affected by mirage and wind drift, as well as any aiming error you introduce into the equation.

For example, I have a Ruger No. 1B in 7mm Rem. Mag. that will shoot 1" groups (three shots) at 200 yards. Strange to tell, it barely does better than an inch at 100! I have no idea if it will hold up well at 300, because I have never had a chance to try it at that distance. But I do know my shooting ability is not up to shooting 3" groups at 300 yards, especially in any wind at all.

It seems to me that Ridge Runner's abilities and his rifle/ammo are quite exceptional! No-one should engage in such shooting unless they have the equipment and time to invest in the amount of practice necessary to acquire the abilityto do that kind of shooting!

RE: Reticle compensation marks: Such marks will help you with holdover, if you knowyour load's trajectory well. BUTsuch marks are no aidat all to shooting small groups. If anything, such marks may help you put a bullet in the exact spot you want it, if you are good at range estimation (or the animal agrees to stay where it is while you fool with your rangefinder).......