Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 300 yard accuracy? >

300 yard accuracy?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

300 yard accuracy?

Old 10-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default 300 yard accuracy?

What is a reasonable expectation as far as group size for a hunting rifle fired from the bench at 300 yards? I am using a 4.5x14 scope without any reticle compensation marks.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 300 yard accuracy?

For a hunting rifle? I would say 5-6" group at 100 yds should be the max. I' much prefer <3".
In my 40 + years of hunting, with all the animals I've harvested, I only shot 3 animals that were 300 yds or over (not counting groundhogs or crows). One each, antelope, whitetail, mulie. There are few instances where you just cannot get any closer.
Don't take the shot unless you have practiced at that range a lot under different conditions. Wind can play havoc on a bullet at that range.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

To answer your question, using a stock HUNTING rifle and 14x scope at 300, 3" groups would be exceptional and 6" is likely.

There are many loads that shoot better after you get past 150 yds so you need to experiment.

The best way that I have found is to use a 36x scope to develop your longer range loads to see what the rifle is capable of. Then switch back to your 14x to see what you are capable of.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dbblung

What is a reasonable expectation as far as group size for a hunting rifle fired from the bench at 300 yards? I am using a 4.5x14 scope without any reticle compensation marks.
"IN theory", a rifle which will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards will shoot 3" groups at 300 yards. Note I said "in theory". The actualy truth is that a rifle that shoots 1" groups @ 100 yards can very well shoot groups smaller than 3" @ 300, BUT it might just as easily shoot groups twice that size, or larger.

Now, I am speaking of machine-rest shooting in a tunnel where there is no wind to affect bullet flight, and there's n human error either.

When you are shooting out in the open, using a scope sight, you are affected by mirage and wind drift, as well as any aiming error you introduce into the equation.

For example, I have a Ruger No. 1B in 7mm Rem. Mag. that will shoot 1" groups (three shots) at 200 yards. Strange to tell, it barely does better than an inch at 100! I have no idea if it will hold up well at 300, because I have never had a chance to try it at that distance. But I do know my shooting ability is not up to shooting 3" groups at 300 yards, especially in any wind at all.

It seems to me that Ridge Runner's abilities and his rifle/ammo are quite exceptional! No-one should engage in such shooting unless they have the equipment and time to invest in the amount of practice necessary to acquire the abilityto do that kind of shooting!

RE: Reticle compensation marks: Such marks will help you with holdover, if you knowyour load's trajectory well. BUTsuch marks are no aidat all to shooting small groups. If anything, such marks may help you put a bullet in the exact spot you want it, if you are good at range estimation (or the animal agrees to stay where it is while you fool with your rangefinder).......
Old 10-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

From a bench rest, under 5" would be good. Under 2" would be great. The key to hunting at that range is being able to hold your rifle in a field position so you canshoot groups under8" consistently at your max hunting range.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: dbblung

I read the post last night and this afternoon I tried in reality.

Chose a plain hunting rifle with factory ammo.

Sako M75 in 270WSMtopped with Zeiss 4.5x14, nothing has been done to it, bone stock

Factory ammo was .....

Left Winchester Supreme 140 Gr Accubond averaged 3201fps

Middle Remington Premier150 gr Accutipaveraged 2969fps

Right Federal Premium Barnes 130 TSX averaged 3211 fps

Below is how they grouped, 5 shots each bullseye at 300 yards 85 degrees, slight 1/4 valueL-R wind

I would strongly reccomend that what ever rifle you choose, go out and shoot at the ranges you intend to use it on whether it's 100, 300 or whatever. I havent shot this rifle much which is the biggest reason I chose it. The far rightgroup that was shot with 130 gr Federal's did not suprise me at all. It's shoots "patterns" in this and another 270 WSM of mine at 100yds.

So there you have it, no cherrypicking a single tiny group, no cropping, no guessing what might be...justan honestattempt at taking a hunting rifle, firing 15 shots at 300 yards in about hour's time. Now if I choose to actually hunt with this rifle it looks like Winchester's load would be a good choice.

Your milage will vary........
Old 10-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, thank you AA for a great post!

As he mentioned you really have to shoot it with the ammo you want to hunt to make sure it's doing what theory implies it should be.

One question AA, were you holding high for those shots or ? My handloads are 0 at 200 and 6.1" low at 300 (in theory, they actually drop a hair more I've noticed).

And to answer your question, if you can get under 5-6" groups at 300 yards with a hunting riflle that's good enough for deer and elk assuming you are consistant at that range and would only take a shot like that with a very solid rest. 300 yards (checked with a laser) is an amazingly long poke at an animal and should not be attempted unless you've shot paper at that range to be sure you are where you should be. I've shot 3 elk in the last 3 years that were all over 300 and I'm very thankful I had a rangefinder with me as I probably would have shot over if I was guessing the range as they looked much futher away (1st was 360yards, 2nd was 322y, and 3rd was 302y).
Old 11-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rr-I thought my sporter weight (7 1/4 with scope).284 was doing fantastic getting 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" groups @ 300 off the bench! I build custom rifles all the time and have yet to build a71/4pound rifle that'll do that( 3/4")! I'd be willing to bet I wouldn't want to pack your rifles very long.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I measured my group and it was right at 6". I guess I expected a little better than that. I am using a Remington 700 chambered in .280 Rem.with an H-S Precision drop in stock, I had the trigger pull adjusted down to 3.5# and am using a Nikon 4.5-14X 40mm scope. I am reloading 160 gr. Nosler Accubond that chrono at 2750fps. My groups at 100 yards measure roughly 1" and about 2.5" at 200 yards. I plan to have a better trigger installed for next season, do you think that may help improve the rifles accuracy somewhat? I did kill a bull elk with the gun a couple weeks ago at 325 yards, so I guess it is really a moot point. But I am always looking to improve my long range capabilities.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

A good trigger can make a big difference to be sure. You may have to resign yourself to the fact that either that rifle can't shoot better than that or it could be (not saying it is) you and that rifle can't shoot better than that. Just a possibility that has to be considered. I know I'm not as good a shot as my rifle is capable of.

One way to know would be to have a trusted friend that is a known good shot shoot it for you and see if they get the same results.