HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking into a crossbow....help.
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Cossack
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking into a crossbow....help.

The kind of bow you get depends on numerous considerations. Like, the extend of your limitations, how you hunt, how it fits, and of course your budget for same. There are two types of bows: recurve and compound (I own and shoot two recurves and a compound). Recurves are generally, wider but very reliable and much easier to maintain. Compounds are narrower but more complex to maintain due to cables and cams. Fit is a big issue, so do try any bow you are interested in to see if it fits you. Trigger pull is important for me because it can affect accuracy. Try to actually shoot the bow for that reason. Company support and service is very important. Excalibur, Ten Point and Parker have virtually unlimited lifetime warranty. (I recently had a Parker bow blow up, due to a faulty arrow, Parker replace it...no questions asked.) Excalibur is also know for it's support, their co. owner is actively engaged (visit their web site) in making sure the customer is happy. There are other maker like Horton, Barnett and BowTech as well. I mention them but have no personal experience with.
Do call Dave, he can answer your questions. Then go out and try shooting as many as you can.