HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - dream gun?????????
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2003, 08:12 PM
Judson

Default RE: dream gun?????????

If you are in good enough condition for the hunt then you do not need a wimp weight gun to carry otherwise we would all carry rubber rifles or hand guns. Bottom line carry enough gun and learn to shoot from all positions. You light weight guys would love a 6 pound .375 H&H right? I built a 6 1/2 pound .458 for a guy, just what he wanted. After he shot it a few times he had a bad twitch when you handed him the rifle and he wanted a muzzel brake. He got it, but if you can' t handle an extra pound or two then you should probably spend some time at the jym. I am not any ARNOLD, but in Africa I carried my own rifle and it is a heavy weight I will admit, 12 3/4 pounds but I got in condition for the hunt and I have R.A. throught my hole body. Being alittle honest that is why I wanted a rifle that heavy. I did not want to be beat to death. It is chambered for a new cartridge I was developing, the .366 D.G.W. a neck down of the .416 Rigby. If I knew my new muzzel brake design would of worked so well the rifle would of been around 2 pounds lighter
I did not admit to that did I? But on the serious side you can not shoot a rifle that is too light as well as a heavier one. I went to an extreem for medical reasons but there is a point of being ubsurd, and alot of these feather weights are beyond that point. If you can walk and talk and hunt then 7 pluss pounds will not hurt you and will probably improve your shooting. My rifles shoot under 1/2" under all conditions. True, that is more then you need for hunting, but half of making the shot is having confidence in your rifle and it' s accuracy. You develop that by practice and if you get beat to death you do not practice!!!!!!!!