HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting with Mtn bikes?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2003, 11:16 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting with Mtn bikes?

When I tell people thats how me and my buddy get back to one of our mulie areas they laugh and shake their heads here. Nice to see we are the only ones who do this!!!! Where we bow hunt mulies is a pasture, all of our spots and stands are a good 5 miles from where we can park the truck (due to hunting a locked pasture in Bow season). A few years back we scouted by bike and thought it would maximize our time in the stand if we could bike in during hunting...bing on goes the light bulb and the rest is history. I sling my bow over my back and have a head light on my bike to help navigate in the dark. We built a game cart and used the same hitch system as those kiddie carts for pulling behind the bike. However when we load it up with a big mulie, it isn' t very easy to pull via bike, so we have now reverted to loading the animal and then the bike on top and pulling it ourself, which works ok. If the deer isn' t that huge I can' t see it being as much of a problem, our mulie bucks are well over 300 lbs on the hoof, so field dressed your dealing with a good 225 plus. I would suggest trying the kiddie cart hitch system. our bracket mounts to the seat post, we adapted it by creating a straight piece of alum from the u shaped pull handle straight to the bike. I assume yours maybe similar. All you' ll need is a piece of alum or steel and mount it to the handle of the cart and then a ring to slide onto the seat post(not tight fitting to allow movement of the cart when turning). Not sure if it will work riding but worth a try. Good Luck!