HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Secret to Keeping Warm
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 09:19 AM
RenaissanceBiker
Typical Buck

Default RE: Secret to Keeping Warm

I agree. If you sweat you will freeze. I would rather even be a little chilly walking as long as I can layer up when I get where I'm going. It's harder in a climbing stand because climbing is even harder than walking. I have some insulated coveralls. I wear a belt overthem for holding my canteen and flashlight. I take the top off and let it hang behind me when walking or climbing. My legs and feet stay warm. Depending on how cold it is, I may have only a t-shirt on my upper body with gloves on my hands and my ears covered.

I used to run half marathons. One of my favorite races was in April. In order to run a half marathon in April you need to start seriously training in December or January. I liked to run before breakfast. On weekdays I would get up at 4 AM to run 5 miles or more. My rule of thumb was I wouldn't run if it was less than 20 F outside. That was because of what it did to my lungs. If there was no wind I could run at 20 F in some light sweat pants and a long-sleeved t-shirt as long as my hands and ears didn't get cold. I would wear some cotton work gloves and a headband that covered my ears (also bandaids on my nipples to prevent them from being rubbed raw). The trick to comfortable physical exertion in cold weather is to keep your torso cool and your extremities warm.