HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Secret to Keeping Warm
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Secret to Keeping Warm

I don't hunt from a stand, so I do not experience the precise conditions you cite. By the same token, there is nothing exceptional in your specific situation.

The fact is, if you walk any distance and exert any physical effort climbing into your stand, your body is going to heat up and when you sit still for hours your body is going to cool down. Clothing with a wide comfort range is probably a good idea. Wool has a pretty wide comfort range. Additionally, using clothing layers and walking in with the outer layer removed might be a good idea. Finally, on an elevated stand it may be the case that you will be exposed to winds and will need to wear special clothing that sheds wind well. I don't know what will work in your case, but when I backpack in the Colorado rockies -- above treeline and near passes there can be a lot of wind -- I use light wind shell parkas that have the purpose of shedding wind, so my body warmth is not robbed. These garments, however, are not camoflage. Maybe there are similar camoflage wind shells, but I'm not familiar with them. For your feet and/or legs, I have heard some people suggest pulling a sleeping bag up to your torso.