HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - team 11
Thread: team 11
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 10:45 PM
CAelknuts
Fork Horn

Default RE: team 11

Well Blake, it's just you and me for now. Any preference on a team name? I see you're from Wisconsin. How long does duck season last back there? We start on October 18th where I hunt, and don't come to the end until January 25th. You're stuck with me for a very long time, 100 days to be exact.

I just read some of the other guy's posts, so figured I should put a bit more on here. Blake, I hope you're going to be able to hunt long enough to get more than a few geese and ducks. I normally get out 20-25 days per season, at least. If we don't get flooded out (and that can happen where I hunt) I get out even more if it gets good from mid-December until the end of January. I've had many years when I've shot 30+ days. The most I ever shot was one year when I went 89 days, out of a 93 day season. I've been duck hunting for 40+ years, shot my first duck when I was 9, and I'll turn 50 right after our season ends this year. I shoot on a private club in California's Butte Sink. We(me and five other partners)own 265 acres of riparian marsh habitat, shooting a broad mix of birds, but heavy toward mallards, wood ducks, then green wings, gadwall, wigeon, along with good specklebelly shooting in most years. Family also owns 160 acres near where I live that we occasionally hunt honkers on, but not too often. We only go out there a few times per year, and that is shooting only honkers and mallards. When the season opens, we have excellent shooting for woodies, as our property is heavily treed, and wehatch about 250-300 ducklings most years. If I get my choice of blinds on the opener, it'll be 7 woodies for me.