HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Funniest, moments while headin to or sitting on stand??
Old 10-01-2008, 06:25 AM
Retaks

Default RE: Funniest, moments while headin to or sitting on stand??

ORIGINAL: mauser06

not walking to the stand...but easily coulda been....

running the coonhounds one night, dad and i were walking down a ATV trail to the hounds when a grouse flushed out of the brush to the side of the trail....i about pooed alot lol....i was like 6 at the time...i was freaked out and didnt understand what it was...i must have wanted to leave or something coz i remember dad sitting on a log with me calming me down and trying to explain it and trying to explain that theres really nothing in PA that will attack me...

if youve never flushed a ruffed grouse you cant really understand( i know they arent in all parts of the country)...but they flush LOUD, WILD and usually close...they make a heck of a noise with wings beating...and this one was in thick brush and it busted out hard and made a ton of noise...sounded like a bear was busting outta there...
Ive had that happen quite a few times. Its really bad on your first time in the woods by yourself at about 5am during bear season.

Mine wasnt heading to a stand or sitting in stand but when we got to the cabbin one night a flying squirrell decided to make home in the cabbin. Well one of the guys i hunt with (Junior, 6'5" 295# power lifter) decided it was a little cute fuzzy thing. Well ge goes and grabs ahold of this thing. When it bit him you would have thought he was getting attacked by a bear. He went running across teh cabbin screaming like a girl waving his arm around trying to get it off. Then it takes off across the cabbin and there are 8 full grown me and me(I was 15 at the time) diving around away from this thing completely turning everything upside down. We finally catch this thing in a shoe box and barely crack the lid to see it and it take off out of the box at about 90mph through a 1/4in crack. This went on for about 2 hours until it got chased out the front door. When we woke up in the morning we thought the light outside was burnt out but it was wrapped around the lightbulb to stay warm.