HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)
Old 09-30-2008, 07:30 AM
quiksilver
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team 13 Thread (Returning Champs) The Dark Horses.

Danno - I'm pretty pumped for tomorrow. I'm on a big buck. Just not sure how big. I've got a funnel-stand at the top of a steep canyon, great geographic pinchpoint - separates two bedding areas.

This guy is laying down some major-league signalong the one bedding area adjacent to the funnel.

If I can slip in there undetected tomorrow morning, and pull an all-day sit - he just may walk right into a buzzsaw. My ingress route is pretty non-invasive - and I have a decent chance of getting in there without spooking anything. The ground will be a little damp tomorrow morning (rain tonight), so that will help.

Scent is always at issue in this place, b/c the wind swirls in the deep hollow.

Just to get a grip on the size, he ripped up a maple tree, (probably similar in girth to a Louisville Slugger) - and his tines were gouging into another tree, probably 1 foot behind. So, he must have some decent headgear. If he's 110+, which I'd bet he is, I'm shooting - and I'll spend the balance of my season videotaping other people and/or hunting that monster back in PA.

I'm giving myself a solid 40% chance of tagging a buck here in the next 4 days.

Dan - note to self: Plant Corn Next Year.

Mike - are you still hung over?

Jason - any baby news yet? Good luck to you and yours when the time comes.

Al - do you have any pictures of your taxidermy work so far?I keep sayingthat I'm gonna get a coyote pelt tanned, but every damn coyote I shoot - I blow to pieces. LOL