HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Bull Elk (Very Long Story)
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 03:59 PM
npaden
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Bull Elk (Very Long Story)

Thanks for the comments. I had a great time although I wish my friend's son could have shot his elk while I was still there.

I spent 3 hours butchering on Saturday and 5 more hours on Sunday, but the first Elk steaks are going to be consumed tonight.

I spent a little extra time cleaning up the meat as it got a little dirty packing it around, but mostly it just took a long time because it is a LOT of meat. I have to cut it and package it myself, the wife doesn't get into that part of it. The vacuum sealer helps quite a bit doing it myself, I'm not very good with freezer paper and tape. I also cut up some of the roast/stew type meat into jerky strips and cubed up the hamburger meat into small pieces and put it on wax paper on cookie sheets and put that in the freezer to run through my new meat grinder. That took some extra time too. We bought 25lbs of 80/20 regular hamburger at the store and are just going to mix the elk meatwith itafter I grind it on a 1 to 1 ratio and that will give us some 90% lean ground beef/elk. I've done that with deer before andit is hard to tellany difference from regular hamburger.

I didn't weigh it, but I'm sure I've gotover100lbs of steaks and roasts in the freezer plus around 60lbs of jerky and hamburger. (I did weigh the 25lbs of jerky to make sure I used the right amount of cure). The roasts that I call sirloin tips (no idea what they are really called - they are a big roast off the hindquarter) were about 10lbs each by themselves. The shoulder roasts were about that size also. The backstraps were probably 15lbs each. Iguess I might have closer to 150lbs of steaks and roasts!

I was very happy to end up with a bull on the ground. I gave myself a 50/50 chance going into it and was pretty happy to end up with a decent bull.

He has a 37 5/8" inside spread but his main beams were only 34" and he has one weak eye guard so he only scored 244 6/8" gross and 236" net but I'm still happy with him. This gives me a starting point to work up from. If I had shot that 360"+ monster I would have a harder time convincing myself that I would ever have a chance of getting something bigger.