HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - thermacell mosquito repellant
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 05:51 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: thermacell mosquito repellant

Mohunter46 - first of check the pad. It should be a blue color. If it was they might have not dosed that pad with the correct percentage of insecticide. Another thing how long was the pad left out of the wrapper exposed to sun? What they won't tell you is - if you cover your pad back in Tin-foil after use the padwill last longer. If it was left out in the open for quite some time - well that is another reason as the insecticide will flash off and can also be degraded by UV. A;lo make sure you have good airflow for the unit. Using that unit in the holders I have seen will slow it down a bit. Lay it out in the open so both back and front are free from obstructions.

If the pad was a smokey white - well it is done - kaput - replace it. My adivce to you is try another pad - in fact I would even go buy a new box.

Now my offer - by doing what I mentioned above and that does not work and you still don't like it - I'll buy it from you!
Do I work for that company? NOPE = but I own several thermocells and could use a few more.

Yes it is an insecticide and not a repellent but it givesvery good repellent properties. Why do I say this? I have spent many hours in the fields, marshes and cedar swamps testing actual consumer repellent products from lotions, to aerosols, to creams, to 100% Deet, to Laterns .and yes Thermocells. Thermocells work!

Wind
On very windy days you most likely won't be affected by skeeters. Always put your unit on the upwind side. I actually have tied a string to the grill on the back of a few of the units as I find it easier to hang just about anywhere. The string is about 2 feet long. I also tape one side of the removable bottom cap ( where you put the Butane cartidge) as I have lost a few. Thes above tricks I learned form a fellow hunting partner in GA.

I do carry small squares of Tin-foil and place each pad in tin-foil if I am not going to use it. Even overnight as it will make it last longer. Again when the pad is smokey-gray/white - it is all used up - replace the pad. And dispose of it poperly - take it home and toss them in the trash - don't litter.

JW