HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new member has ammo questions Savage 111
Old 09-18-2008, 01:14 PM
markminer

Default new member has ammo questions Savage 111

Hi everyone. Been bowhunting for 6 years and have now become a proud rifleman as well. I am VERY new to firearms so please excuse my ignorance regarding the following questions. Just bought my first rifle:
Savage 111 synthetic, bolt action 30.06. A local sporting goods store was having a sale and the wife took me down to get my 40th Birthday present.
The package was just over $400.00 w/ a Simmons scope, and sling. I picked up a few guns twice as much money but they did'nt feel right. Funny, I picked up the $400.00 gun first and after at least a dozen later I went back to the first the Savage 111. I live in California where blacktail deer and pigs are commonplace for hunters. It has been suggested I go with one of two things: A 150g-165g bullet (Remington and Hornady have been suggested) and simply stay with that round at the shooting range and in the feild. Others suggest a 150g will do the trick just fine on deer and pigs but step up to 180g for the occasional elk hunt and go to the range beforehand to reset sight for bigger load. Sorry so long-winded, just want to do it right the first time. Suggestion? Thanks,
Mark