HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dealing with black bears while deer hunting
Old 09-10-2008, 03:43 PM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Dealing with black bears while deer hunting

There was an article I read a long time ago about bears. Grizzly and black bears. And there was something in there that stuck with me and I think it is true as he did a good bit of research form what I recall.
He stated that on average, 1 in 10 black bears will stand their ground or charge when confronted by humans. However, it may be the 100th bear you see or the first.
In my 45 or so years of hunting and more hiking where black bears are present, would guess I saw 30 or so bear. There was only one time when a bear challenged me. I was walking my dog on a leadon a dirt road and asI rounded the bend an we saw each other, he paced back and forth across the road several times. Distance was less than 50 yds and the dog was barking. After about a minute of this he walked into the woods, only to come back out and do the same thing all over. Believe me, when he came back out, and he was a good sized bear, I unholstered my 29. I hollered at him a couple times and he finally walked into the woods. He didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling so me and the dog backtracked out of the area.
Last year, after shooting a doe late in the day with my bow, I walked back to the truck to put my bow in a grab a flashlight and called my friend to come help me track her. I was following the blood trail as my friend came walking through the woods. as he approached, we heard somthing crashing ahead of us. Another 60 yds in the dark and we found my doe. But something, and we assume was a bear, had drug her about 15 yds from where she fell. As I dressed her out we could hear whatever it was, circling around us. This is in PA so it may have been a coyote but unlikely.
I hope this makes you feel good.