HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How many birds have you taken with bands?
Old 08-28-2008, 06:58 AM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many birds have you taken with bands?

I've got three geese (one collar) and a bunch of ducks. Most of those ducks are either SCWA bands or plantation bands (release birds). I think just about every single mallard I shot when I lived in SC had a band on it. Ironically I shot a hen up here in VA that was a release bird from the SCWA (I felt like I had a magnet in my pocket for SC mallards). I think I have 7 or 8 true blue fed duck bands now. One was 11 years old, and the bird was at least 12 years old according to the cert. That was the day before Christmas of 2003.

I haven't shot a banded bird in the last two seasons, so like Gordon I think I'm about due again. I know of a field where dang near every goose in it has a leg iron.... still working on getting rights.... might have to bow hunt them... which would make it more like band shopping rather than true hunting. Be kinda cool though.

We shoot a lot of black ducks, which statisically I think is your best bet for shooting a banded duck. Big big studies continually happening on blacks.