HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How many birds have you taken with bands?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:12 PM
superstrutter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many birds have you taken with bands?

ORIGINAL: Crowkilla

I have never shot a banded duck.

Been duck hunting for years, still no bands. I almost had one last year. My cousin and I were the only two guys in the blind one slow morning. A lone mallard drake buzzed our decoys and we both popped up to shoot. I never pulled the trigger cause my cousin got him on the first shot. He retrieved the duck and noticed it was banded. He's older and didn't have his glasses, so he brought it to me to read where it was tagged. I looked at the tag and read, "Jack Miner Foundation - I Walk Among You Lev. 26:12." I nearly fainted. I have never felt excitement and grief so equally blended.
One thing, it's not going to have where it was tagged on the band. You'll have to call it in and give the band number. They will send you a certificate showing the approximate age and where it was banded, but I'm sure you already know this. Secondly, that Jack Miner band is a real prize. I can understand your excitement and grief.