HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stalking turkeys---Unethical??
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2003, 05:03 PM
sour01

Default Stalking turkeys---Unethical??

I have read posts here and I have read turkey hunting articles in magazines that seem to question the ethics of stalking turkeys. Help me out here.

I have hunted the last 3 years on various private property where I was all but certain that I was the only one on that property on a given day.

This year I spotted a gobbler in a plowed field late in the afternoon and felt I could crawl along the fence row to get in position for a close shot. I could---and I did---and got a nice Tom without calling.

On another hunt---I heard a gobbler on top of a ridge mid morning. I got into a finger of woods and moved his way. When I eased out of the woods I unexpectedly saw the fan of a strutting gobbler and I saw his partner' s head keeping watch at about 30 yards in front of me. I went to my knees---sure I was busted---eased back up with my shotgun ready and shot the partner' s head and neck. Another nice gobbler without making a call.

Are those hunts considered stalking or unethical? I can see when hunting on public land that stalking could be a major safety factor. I really would like some input here since I am moving in 3 weeks and may have to hunt public land for the next several years. What have I failed to consider? What is the difference in stalking and moving when you hear a gobbler?