Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Stalking turkeys---Unethical?? >

Stalking turkeys---Unethical??

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Stalking turkeys---Unethical??

Old 05-11-2003, 05:03 PM

Default Stalking turkeys---Unethical??

I have read posts here and I have read turkey hunting articles in magazines that seem to question the ethics of stalking turkeys. Help me out here.

I have hunted the last 3 years on various private property where I was all but certain that I was the only one on that property on a given day.

This year I spotted a gobbler in a plowed field late in the afternoon and felt I could crawl along the fence row to get in position for a close shot. I could---and I did---and got a nice Tom without calling.

On another hunt---I heard a gobbler on top of a ridge mid morning. I got into a finger of woods and moved his way. When I eased out of the woods I unexpectedly saw the fan of a strutting gobbler and I saw his partner' s head keeping watch at about 30 yards in front of me. I went to my knees---sure I was busted---eased back up with my shotgun ready and shot the partner' s head and neck. Another nice gobbler without making a call.

Are those hunts considered stalking or unethical? I can see when hunting on public land that stalking could be a major safety factor. I really would like some input here since I am moving in 3 weeks and may have to hunt public land for the next several years. What have I failed to consider? What is the difference in stalking and moving when you hear a gobbler?
Old 05-11-2003, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stalking turkeys---Unethical??

i dont think it unethical and i try to be the most ethical person i know when it comes to hunting.....it' s like having a deer walk up to you in season.....you were at the right place at the right time in my book......
the only thing i dont like about run n' - gun n' is the safety aspect of it.....on public land i just feel it' s safer to scout , set up and stay still.....
Old 05-11-2003, 05:39 PM

In no way do I consider stalking turkeys unethical, I call it good hunting and excellent woodsmanship. There are certain times in difficult seasons when the birds won' t respond to calling that you have to spot and stalk turkeys if you want to fill your tags. I have taken nice gobblers on occasion that way and I don' t feel any less of a hunter for doing it that way. As a matter of fact, it makes me feel more satisfied by being able to get within range of such a wary creature without getting busted, that I personally enjoy those hunts just as much as the ones where I sit for long periods of time and call one in. I believe the legal taking of a longbeard, whether it be taken by the woodsmanship involved with stalking or by sitting patiently and calling them to you, are both a feat to be proud of!

P.S.,
I hunt only on private land and usually have the place to myself. I would think twice about stalking a bird on heavily hunted public land or private land with other hunters in the vicinity for safety reasons.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t consider it unethical, just unsafe. I don' t have the fortune of being the only hunter on any private lands I have permission. I also have had a turkey hunter stalk upon my decoys to within 30yds before I saw him once. I' ve read of hunters getting blasted from turkey stalkers. So I just don' t do it for safety reasons. I just manuever to another spot & setup in their path.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

unethical is shooting a bird from his roost. Something that I have heard morer then a few times here in Ontario [:@]...BT
Old 05-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing is unethical if it is legal.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:18 PM

I certainly don' t consider it unethical. I have taken numerous turkeys and probably 75% of them involved either stalking and shooting or stalking, calling and shooting.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don' t consider it unethical at all, but I do consider it hard to do. If you can do it , more power to ya.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:45 PM

I wouldnt consider it unethical. Turkeys are one of the most difficult animals to stalk and I would pat myself on the back for being able to stalk close enough for a shot!
Old 05-11-2003, 06:56 PM

Have to agree with BT, and disagree with 1950kid. Heard atleast 7 gunshots while it`s still dark this year and even if it`s legal shooting time taking a bird off the roost is still unethical. If we all started shooting birds off the roost I`d have to agree with the anti`s that we are in it just to kill something.

Quick Reply: Stalking turkeys---Unethical??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.