HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Once and for all, the Magnum vs standard
Old 08-05-2008, 02:27 PM
ShatoDavis

Default Once and for all, the Magnum vs standard

The truth shall set you free!

I know that everyone here has heard of me (i'm infamous you know). Furthermore, I know that you all have come to respect my tremendous intellect and experience. I am also keenly aware that most of you all look to me for guidance when it comes to selecting a BG firearm. So I'm sure that I can quite definately end this debate once and for all. Now that my tongue isplaced firmly in my cheek, I shall begin!

I have for years been a proponent of the "bigger is better" camp. As some of you may recall I believe that anyone who goes into the Elk woods with anything less than a 30-06 is kidding themselves. Further I strongly recommend the 338 win mag for the slippery Wapati. Well, my foundations have been shaken. As a matter of fact its got me to contemplating many of my decisions..... (Maybe, I should have studied more and partied less in college)

A few years ago I read an article about the 6.5-284 cartridge. it had been used quite extensively in the 1000 Yard Benchrest competitions. The author of this article contemplated the use of this round for hunting. After reading this article I decided to build one for myself. I was intrigued and I needed a winter project. At the same time my father decided to build one as well. He's always stealing my good ideas. But, I digress.

I thought that it would be a nice Deer weapon, excellent accuracy, long range ability etc. Later during the build I decided that it would be my "Sheep" rifle. For the Dall Sheep hunt that I never have enough money to book. "oh the kids need school clothes.... Oh my truck needs new tires...Oh we need to pay the mortgage... everything needs my "Sheep hunt" money but, I digress once again.

Well, dad got his rifle built quite a bit sooner than I. Something to do with being retired I believe. I've got my rifle built and taken it on a few hunts. Dropping a nice Mule deer buck in his tracks. but the real story is what My father has done with this little gem.

Dad's retired and has a lot of time and disposable income. He's been travelling the world the last few years hunting. The little 6.5 is going along more and more often. The first trip was to New Zealand, where he bagged a Red Stag, Chamois, & Himalayan Tar with the 6.5 all one shot kills. Later, trips toAfricayielded Impala, Gemsbok,Kudu,Wildebeastvia the pee shooter. But the one that shook me to the core was his latest trip. On a trip to Africa he was shooting his 6.5-284 bagginassorted plains game when a Eland presented itself. Now an eland is the size ofa rodeo bull. Dad didn't hesitate and he shot the bull through the shoulder. The bull ran 100 yards accoriding to dad and expired.Dad said the PH commented that a 375 HH would not have put the bull down any faster.

The ballistics and Sectional density of the140 gr. 6.5mm bullet is absolutely phenominal. This cartridgehas the recoil of a 270 and the terminal performance of a 338. I think thatitis the ultimate Big game cartridge. So now I'm sure that we will never again need to debate this topic[8D]