HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - help me pick a slug gun
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: help me pick a slug gun

I just did some catching up on that site and read more of that thread. I will agree with JC on the 20 ga. If I were to get another slug gun right now I would get either a H&R or a Savage in 20 ga. They are very similar to the inline muzzle loader loads currently available.

My H&R Ultra 12 ga seemed to like winchester platinums and hated most of the faster ammo. Didn't care much for Barns either, which upset me because I love those bullets. I got between 1.5 and 2 inch groups with the platinums and closer to 5 or 6 inches with the barnes. Mine actually shot rifled slugs really well for 3 or 4 shots then it would foul out the barrel. Didn't care much for lightfields either, but I didn't try every model either.

Both my buddies remingtons shoot similar groups at 100 yards (2 inch) with winchester BRI 2 3/4 loads. The 11-87 has a hastings barrel and the 87O was a special purpose turkey gun with a stock remignton cantilever slug barrel. Throw 3 inch loads in either of them and the groups almost double. Slug guns are PICKEY from what I have found.

Paul