HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remember the biggest buck of your lifetime?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:57 PM
stabnslab_WI
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remember the biggest buck of your lifetime?

My biggest buck to date that I have seen was about four years ago when I wasbowhunting. It was early morning on Oct 28th and the bucks were starting to rut. I had seen about fourrespectible bucks just nothing I was looking for. It was getting to be around ten o'clock and I was ready to head in for some breakfeast.As I went to grab my stringI looked over the tree line into our hayfield. I was hunting a ridge with an awesomeview and about six hundred yards away Isee nothing but RACK and a BIG boddied deer walking checking scrapes. From that far and seeing a big rack I thought it was a new world record. I watched that deer for the next ten minutes before it walked into the woods. That was the first time I saw him.

I placed a stand in that general area were I last saw him thinking he was bedding at the base of our other ridge in the briars. I hunted hard the next three days and nothing. Seen other bucks but not him. So I went back to the other side of the farm and sat in one of the funnels for a morning hunt. Right away I hadaction,It was one of those mornings that everything was going right. Around nine o'clock it wasslow so I decided to hit the horns. After about a twenty second sequenceI looked to my right and the big boy was staring right at me. He must have been watching me the whole time I was hitting the horns because he was only fiftyyards away andI could see about another hundred yards behind him. It was just my luck, there was no way a deer was going to come out of that area, but sure enough the big buck does. I could see at least ten points with some kickersand a lot of junk. Tines that looked longer then rulers and a spread a couple inches past the ears. All I could do is look at him. Couldn't even reach for my bow or place the horns down, just stare. After what seemed for ever, he turned around and walked away to never be seen from my eyes again. That was four years ago and as far as I know nobody shot him. Probably got him by a car or something.