HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's the best way to lure in not so dominant bucks and lots of does?
Old 07-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Muddyemms

Default RE: What's the best way to lure in not so dominant bucks and lots of does?

Here's a thought. Deer are naturally curious, right? My idea, and I haven't tried this yet, would be to get a scented candle of a scent that the deer you're after wouldn't normally smell. Make very sure that the area around where the candle is going to be placed is clear of flammable material. Then, light the candle, putting some sort of ceramic shade over it to keep the wind from blowing it out. Wait.

I know exactly where I'm going to do this, on the property that the hunting camp I belong to is on. New York's early bow season, in the Northern Zone if you didn't get a deer by bow last year, starts September 27th. If I actually go the 115 miles one-way to the camp and do this (at 35+ mpg in my car), I'll let you know how it turns out.

It's a crazy idea, but just crazy enough to succeed. In my deer management unit in the NZ, NYS allowseither a buck or doe for bowhunters.

Yeah,I have zero idea which I'm going to lure in with this (buck or doe), but the bucks will be in pre-hiding mode, so I just may be able topull it off.