HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - any wordAny word on Virginia's new dog laws?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Vulture6
Fork Horn

Default RE: any wordAny word on Virginia's new dog laws?

ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

I would have a problem with a landowner who would not allow someone to retrieve a game animal from their property. This is assuming that the deer did in fact cross over property lines after it was shot and not shot across the line.
I used to have a problem with my neighboring folks crossing over to retreive game -- disrupting my hunt, leaving trash, and "tracking" game with no blood trail while carrying a shotgun (and not wearing orange).

We now have an understanding (after getting the sheriff involved) -- if the deer is not down and in sight from his side of the boundary, he'll call my cell phone and either speak with me or leave a message. The intent is safety -- I don't want him walking "willy-nilly" through my woods. Brush is think, and especially during gun season, bullets carry beyond sight. Likewise, he'll wear orange (duh) and if he loses the blood trail, he can call me and I'll help him look. It basically became a reciprocal agreement -- not that I was tracking game on his land without permission. Now if only I could get him to stop emptying his shotgun at running deer we could cut way, way down on tracking wounded deer across the county!