HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ** ROSS / Bowtech happenings....press release**
Old 07-16-2008, 09:00 PM
gzg38b
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ** ROSS / Bowtech happenings....press release**

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Being an MBA student who just finished my first graduate marketing class, I'm wondering how Bowtech plans to position the Ross line to compete in the marketplace without competing directly against their Diamond line. How will they differentiate the Ross bows from the Diamond bows, given that they are basically the same design?

Both Diamond and Ross are high end parallel limb single cam bows that are very similar to one another. I'm not sure I understand why this move makes sense for Bowtech - unless they plan on changing either the Ross or Diamond brand to target different market segments.
Kind of like GMC and Chevy trucks. Different names, same truck, but the money goes in the same pocket when they sell one
That's actually one of GM's biggest problems right now. Too many brands selling identical vehicles. If it didn't cost billions to dissolve a brand, they'd probably kill off 2 or 3 brands tomorrow. Most customers areindifferent between the GMC truck and the Chevy truck. But we have separate dealerships, separate distribution channels, separate marketing budgets, etc. And at the end of the day, all we've really accomplished is to weaken the brand identities of both brands, spend extra moneyand create confusion in the marketplace.

I'm not sure why Bowtech would want to engage in a similar strategy. Unless they truly think that people who would buy a Ross would not consider a Diamond, and vice versa - then it makes sense. They need to be sure to have some real significant differentiation between the Diamond and Ross line - unlike GMC versus Chevy trucks which are identical.