HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - boat blind need ideas
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2003, 05:09 PM
OhioDuckHunter

Default RE: boat blind need ideas

This is a topic I was researching two years ago. Below are my results...

I painted my 16 foot aluminum canoe, which was given to me by my grandfather, with dark green aluminum/concrete paint (about $16/gallon). I followed by painting random stripes, mostly verticle, on the green base coat (colors were tan, black and light green about $2/can spray paint). Boat is done.

Next was a trip to the local farmer' s exchange (or grain mill if you will). I purchased 15 bulap feed bags (cost $2.00/each). I pulled out the cord which sewed the seams and and layed them out to created the configuration I wanted. Then I sewed them together using green yarn (stole from my wife = free). After time outside getting kicked around, rained on, frozen and muddy the makeshift blind material was ready. This is used to drape over the canoe to conceal me and my gear (and dog this coming season, she will be 2 then). It helps to throw some switch grass over the top of it all when you are at the hunting site.

I found some foam at work which they gave me (again = free). It was perfect! 2 inches thick and about 12 inches in diameter. 20 of these stacked on each side, conduit ran through the center to more conduit for cross bars and presto....instant stabilizers! (these work VERY WELL)

I use anywhere from 5 to 16 mallard decoys in small marshy areas spread around my canoe or in a pattern in front of the canoe.

Finally, I took the plunge and purchased a new Motorguide electric motor which is perfect for the side mount on my canoe (about $130.00).

Throw it all together, grab your gun and call (for effect) and we are wing shooting!

Good Luck with the Duck!