HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - KRB + FPB = Colorado load
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 12:07 PM
txhunter58
Nontypical Buck

Default KRB + FPB = Colorado load

Well, after today's session, I feel I have found my timberline buck load for Colorado today.

Knight KRB, 90 gr. ffg 777. Winchester 777 209 primer, 350 gr Hornady FPB bullets.

Tried the bullets both as hollowpoints and with the tip simply cut off flush at the front of the bullet. They flew noticably better with the tips cut off flush.

All of these were 3 shot groups off sandbags with a williams rear peep, twilight williams appeture, and a front globe fiberoptic sight:

25 yards = 5/8 inch

50 yards = 1 & 1/4 inch

100 yards = 2 & 1/4 inch groups

Because of the timberline nature of this hunt, I hope to feel proficient out to 150 yards, so I took some shots at 150 from a prone shooting position over a backpack. All were kill shots although my groups opened up considerably. However, by the time I took those shots later in the morning, I had 10-20 mph winds. Tried to shoot between gusts, but you know how that goes.

Anyway, I am convinced that this will be my load for Colorado this year. I will also have a cow tag in my pocket, and I will not hesitate to use this load for an elk either.