HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Weather-proofing a rifle????
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Rifle Loony

Default RE: Weather-proofing a rifle????

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Your best option in my opinion is just going with stainless and a weather resistant stock like laminated wood or fiberglass. Hogue makes some really nice rifle stocks as do several other companies.

I'm looking for something that when applied would be impervious to moisture and would be tough/thick enough to resist scratching/chipping if it gets dinged up.
Impossible in my opinion. Any coating can scratch or chip if abused. And keep in mind that any coating may protect the metal to a degree, but it still can still corrode underneath the coating. And you can't really efficiently coat the internals of the gun, but you can make them out of stainless. Especially the inside of the barrel. Coating a barrel and action may protect the outside of it, but it won't do much for the inside.

And if stainless does get scratched or something it is much easier to touch up and fix than any coating would be. As long as the scratch isn't too deep.

My opinions anyway.

Paul
Your opinion is skewed. Outdated at best...

Research, or better yet purchase and trywhat's available before you opine on something.

BT/DT carries some weight....

Do you own any firearms that are Cerekote'd or treated with UBC?