HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - speed goat hutning
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 10:19 PM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: speed goat hutning

what unit?

I'm also in IL and disappointed we didn't draw.....last year was 100% with 1pt, so I had figured to draw, but no luck.

acustom to the slug game as well, but love rifle shooting.

I'd say be dead on at 200yds or more....and know your bullets trajectories....

depending on the terrain, you may be able to sneak up close, but you may not be able to get within 400yds....

most ranges around here if you're lucky will let you shoot 200yds, so get to it and be ready, learn where that bullet will be at 300, 400,

may consider dead on at 250yds.....should allow you to just point/shoot out to 300yds.

I've always used .270 win with 130grs, though looking at a .243win as my goat gun....

I'd say go light.....not sure whats commonly loaded down to the .308....but id say find a good 150gr or 125gr load....

fellow hunter couple years back was using an '06 with 125grs, so 150grs or less Id go for in the .308.....use your flattest shooting/most accurate bullet, relatively speaking.

These things are small compared to our deer.....so that is a smaller target at 300yds....

also figure out wind drifts.....its almost always windy in wyoming when ive hunted antelope.

I definitely recomend a soft bullet, no need for nosler partitions, barnes TSX etc....buddy's .243 w/95gr nosler partitions would go right through.

my 130gr soft points also go right through.