HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Federal Black Cloud Shells?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 08:20 AM
GordonGekko
Fork Horn

Default RE: Federal Black Cloud Shells?

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

ORIGINAL: GordonGekko

well...shoot whatever makes you happy, but nothing compares to the heavier than lead shot (costs aside)...field testing or otherwise.... i don't shoot it at light geese during the conservation season then I stick to Fast Steel (or whatever is cheap)because I may shoot3 flats (750 shells) per weekend.... but otherwise I am shooting the hevi-stuff...it's like a roach motel, ducks come in and never get out....
Gordon, let's just go back to the part where you said you have no personal experience with it. So how canyou say itdoesn't compare? Why would you argue againsta product you haven't tried?Sure the real expensive stuff is great. I would love to shoot Bismuth all year, but I can't afford it. To me, it's the best performance for the price, but that's the way I felt about KFS a couple of seasons ago. I wouldn't even think about shooting it at snows. When I hunt snows, I shoot leftovers and whatever is the cheapest I can find. All I can say is, it works for me. And until I find something better for the money, I'm gonna use it.
while I personally haven't shot it much (just a handful of shells, not enough to constitute real experience IMO) I shared a blind with more folks than I care tocount shooting it...and there were noticably more cripples on birds they shot than those I shot with Hevi-Shot.... cleaning those birds showed fewer pellets with less penetration than hevi-shot.... Like I said shoot whatever makes you happy, and I am glad it works for you, it may be the next best thing to Hevi-Shot, Bismutch, etc...but the "next best thing" does not make it an equal...that is all I am trying to say....

this is all really just a sidebar to the original question...if you likeblack cloud then shoot it, it will perform just fine, but the most important thing is to sharpen up your shooting skills, that will reduce your ammo expense regardless of what you shoot....