Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Federal Black Cloud Shells? >

Federal Black Cloud Shells?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Federal Black Cloud Shells?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Federal Black Cloud Shells?

To consistently kill geese one doesn't need BC or even hevi shot. I have used both and if your goal is killing geese at 60yds then hevishot is the only choice. If you are shooting geese, feet down at 20to 30 ydsin the decoys then any steel shot on the market will kill geese consistently and cleaningly. I use alot of #2 3in. Remington Nitro Steel and kill geese out to 30 yds no problem. Usually pusing it through an IC choke, it patterns nicely with that setup.

IMHO You would be far better off to put more money into shooting at the trap range with you new Stoeger then buying high priced BC shot. Especially in Canada where the birds decoy well and the shooting is fast and furious if you get into the white geese at all.

Nemont
Old 07-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think there has been a little misunderstanding...I'm looking at hunting Canada Geese (the species) and ducks in Iowa, not hunt geese in Canada (don't I wish). I actually live about 20 minutes from the outfitter. I'm looking at a guided hunt because I have ZERO experience hunting waterfowl, and wouldn't even know where to start on my own. I ask about these shells because they seem pretty novel and I also have zero experience with non-toxic shotshells (I've shot exactly zero in my lifetime). As far as the need to practice, I'll probably take it to the trap club a couple times, but I have no doubt as to my ability to wingshoot. My average at the 16 yard trap is 24 of 25, and that's with a Browning BPS with a full choke and #8 1oz target loads. I don't think I'll have too much trouble nailing a decoyed goose at 30 yards. I just want to avoid wasting my money on crappy ammo, and to find out if the Fed BC shells are all they're hyped up to be (because having an edge never hurts, right?).

Thanks for the info. I think that I'll get at least one box and give it a try. If it doesn't pattern well in IC or Mod, I'll just go with the plain vanilla steel shot.

Mike
Old 07-03-2008, 08:16 PM

there not that strong like the nitro's me personally sometimes those feds dont kick out but nitros never jam up but i shoot a nova so it might depend on what ur shooting
Old 07-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Fork Horn

driftrider...sorry....we took that WAAAY off course[]but when this get into your blood a little you'll be booking that trip to Canada in no time

if you can get on a skeet range where you can shoot a few incoming targets.... in my experience as an ex-guide most folks miss geese because they shoot behind and over them because the big suckers look like they are moving so slow, but in reality they are actually moving at a pretty good clip...just a little tip for shootin' the larger birds.....

pattern them and let us know how it comes out...you are a wise man not wanting to waste your money on crappy ammo....
Old 07-05-2008, 04:04 PM

Hunting and Fishing Industry Strives on "New and Improved" Hype and always will..

To me if what you are using works and you are a shooter why is the need to fall for a Marketing Ploy?

We kill Tons of Birds and Using what we have used for Years.

Just my Two Cents
Old 07-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me if what you are using works and you are a shooter why is the need to fall for a Marketing Ploy?
ORIGINAL: Hoppmeister

Hunting and Fishing Industry Strives on "New and Improved" Hype and always will..

We kill Tons of Birds and Using what we have used for Years.

Just my Two Cents
Not every new thing is a "marketing ploy". To deny that there have been positive improvements in hunting and shooting sports gear would be foolish. While it's possible that you are correct in this case, to simply dismiss such innovations outright would be akin a professional Longbowman in the English Army of the middle ages dismissing the hand cannon as a viable weapon simply because it was early firearm technology and as yet unrefined and unproven.

My point of asking about the Black Cloud shells was to get a first hand account of the shell's performance in real world situations to compare and/or contrast against Federals very flashy marketing. It would seem that many feel that the BC shells are as good or better than standard steel shot, while there are enough critical reviews to make one realize that they are not the Holy Grail of non-toxic shotshells. If you'd have read carefully you'd also notice that I have no experience with waterfowling or non-toxic shot shells, which is also a very big part of why I asked this question in the first place. But thanks for your input all the same.

Mike
Old 08-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Spike

I shoot Black Cloud and I've seen a dramatic drop in the amount of cripples. It is no gimmic. Its the real deal.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:35 PM

I tend to agreethe only industry with more gimmics is probaly golf, there is always something to improve your swing. With that said Black Cloud for me tend to be a vast improvement over the Winchester that I shot before lost less cripples and little better range. I for one like them.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:25 PM

black clouds are great they work fine out of my sx3 and if you are really looking for a fully guided duck and goose hunt i am a new brunswick guide located on the atlantic flyway where you can shoot a limit or 5 geese and 6 ducks within 2 hours if the scouting is decent. we offer hunts for the best prices in the east and out outfit is called hendersons hunting camps you can look at our website anytime we also offer a combo hunt of whitetail and migratory or black bear and waterfowl for great prices.