View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 05:45 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gas-checks

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

Slugging a barrel and sizing accordingly yeilds a correct GC fit.

I am not sure who the expert is here. But I do know that Slugging a barrel and sizing a bullet has nothing to do with the fit of GC's?? You seat(or fit) the GC before you size your bullet. Or at least while you are sizing your bullet. A lot of shooters use a GC and do not even size their bullet.

Slugging a barrel yeilds a measurementof diameter across the grooves, yes or no?

Obtaining a sizer/luber die that best represents the adequate fit per that dimension AND casting for a minimal required amount ofsizingsans excessive swaging of the bullet yeilds best fit/best accuracy upon sizing through said sizer/luber. Common sense dictates that the least amount of sizing yields best accuracy, yes?

Last I checked the CG's going through my sizer/luber went through the same die that the bullet goes through....thus yeilding same/samebest fit per bore dimensions.

No?

Ordo they magically stay bigger or something?

Gas checks in hot hardcast45LC loads are simple insurance against many evils......

Slugging a bore does indeed give you land & groove diameters. But when we are talking revolvers, another significant diameter- (BTW, revolver chambers do indeed have throats-at least some do-which are smaller in diameter than the chamber proper)-is the throat diameter which determines the diameter of the bullet as it enters the bore from the cylinder. The closer this throat diameter is to being no more than .002"-.003 over groove, the more accurate that revolver will be. If this throat is too small, gas will blow by the bullet as it enters the bore. If too large, the bullet will swage up in size then be smashed down again while entering the bore. Either of these occurrences will damage the bullet. Such damage often causes the bullet to travel erratically after leaving the gun. I learned this the hard way, from a Colt New Frontier .45 Colt that would not shoot for sour apples. I discovered it had a .451" groove and a .457" chamber throating.....