Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Gas-checks

Old 06-14-2008, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gas-checks

To the thing that lives under the bridge: at least you are contibuting to this thread in one way- proving that arrogance =ignorance.

Slugging a barrel and sizing accordingly yeilds a correct GC fit.

Good seal, good velocity, good accuracy,less leading...all frosting on the cake.
If you slug the throat and use a bullet that fills the throat as much as possibleregardless of what the rest of the barrel looks like, you'll be way ahead of the curve. A gascheck isn't goingto prevent leading if yor bullet is grossly undersized in the throat but is 'perfectly-sized' for the grooves in the barrel.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:00 AM

If we are stilltalking .45LC +P'ish stuff...then likely we are talking forcing cones, not chamber throats.

But you probably already knew that................
Old 06-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

I am not sure who the expert is here. But I do know that Slugging a barrel and sizing a bullet has nothing to do with the fit of GC's?? You seat(or fit) the GC before you size your bullet. Or at least while you are sizing your bullet. A lot of shooters use a GC and do not even size their bullet.

I would have thought the author was working with a rifle instead of a pistol. There is no need what so ever with a GC at pistol velocities, so common sense would tell me that the author was either speaking about a rifle, or was just looking for general information?? But then what would I know, I am just a dummy from WV, and know nothing about "STICK". But I do know a bit about casting and shooting. Which I believe is far more than RL. But then I always get a "KICK"(or should I say Laffin'........)out of comments that some one writes about a subject-when they obviously have not done what they are talking about. I do not doubt that you have used GC'd bullets, but your non-GC'd bullet comments are way off base.

If you want to pay the extra money for the GC bullets then go ahead and buy them. But if you are talking about pistol loads, they truly are not necessary.

Now for my third grade comment. Tom.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I am not sure who the expert is here. But I do know that Slugging a barrel and sizing a bullet has nothing to do with the fit of GC's?? You seat(or fit) the GC before you size your bullet. Or at least while you are sizing your bullet. A lot of shooters use a GC and do not even size their bullet.

Slugging a barrel yeilds a measurementof diameter across the grooves, yes or no?

Obtaining a sizer/luber die that best represents the adequate fit per that dimension AND casting for a minimal required amount ofsizingsans excessive swaging of the bullet yeilds best fit/best accuracy upon sizing through said sizer/luber. Common sense dictates that the least amount of sizing yields best accuracy, yes?

Last I checked the CG's going through my sizer/luber went through the same die that the bullet goes through....thus yeilding same/samebest fit per bore dimensions.

No?

Ordo they magically stay bigger or something?

Gas checks in hot hardcast45LC loads are simple insurance against many evils......

Old 06-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now who is assuming that the poster is casting their own bullets, instead of buying their bullets?? You need to make up your mind before you flame some one else!!

You also need to know that it is easy to "fit" your GC's to a bullet without sizing them. That is how I seat them on my 200 grain bullets for my 358 Winchester. I just set the GC on a flat surface on push the bullet into the crimp on GC. This bullet drops exactly where I want it. So when I run the bullet through the sizer, all I am doing is lubing the bullet(not sizing).

You also need to realize that there are alot of casters out there that do not even size their bullets. And there are also a lot of custom molds out there that drop a certain alloy at the proper diameter that a shooter wants so that he does not have to size his bullets.

"Diameter across the grooves"??I think I actually gave you more credit than you deserve. I know that "Diameter across the grooves" is definitely not the measurement I am looking for when I slug a barrel. I think I will go over to the Cast Boolit web site and tell them I size my bullets by the "Diameter across the grooves". I am sure those guys will get a Laffin'......... out of that. Have you ever slugged a barrel?? By your comments-I sort of doubt it. Tom.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:33 PM

Merely entertaining YOUR argument.....

So then, you measure across the lands?

That must make for some really good accuracy, and one heck of a good seal. Why even bother with rifling if that be the case?

I don't care what credit YOU give me but it don't take a genious to know the widest portion of a bore diameter is from groove to groove, not land to land......

Too funny.......

Oh I get it, in your vast knowitallitude you assume I'm talking about measuring across the actual grooveson the actual slug, which represent the lands in the bore, in negitive image....

No Einstien, I'm talking about measuring the high spots of the slug which represents the grooves in the bore.....said, "measure across the grooves", by me, earlier.

Still too funny.........
Old 06-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Slugging a barrel yeilds a measurementof diameter across the grooves, yes or no?

Obtaining a sizer/luber die that best represents the adequate fit per that dimension AND casting for a minimal required amount ofsizingsans excessive swaging of the bullet yeilds best fit/best accuracy upon sizing through said sizer/luber. Common sense dictates that the least amount of sizing yields best accuracy, yes?

Last I checked the CG's going through my sizer/luber went through the same die that the bullet goes through....thus yeilding same/samebest fit per bore dimensions.

No?

Ordo they magically stay bigger or something?

Gas checks in hot hardcast45LC loads are simple insurance against many evils......

Slugging a bore does indeed give you land & groove diameters. But when we are talking revolvers, another significant diameter- (BTW, revolver chambers do indeed have throats-at least some do-which are smaller in diameter than the chamber proper)-is the throat diameter which determines the diameter of the bullet as it enters the bore from the cylinder. The closer this throat diameter is to being no more than .002"-.003 over groove, the more accurate that revolver will be. If this throat is too small, gas will blow by the bullet as it enters the bore. If too large, the bullet will swage up in size then be smashed down again while entering the bore. Either of these occurrences will damage the bullet. Such damage often causes the bullet to travel erratically after leaving the gun. I learned this the hard way, from a Colt New Frontier .45 Colt that would not shoot for sour apples. I discovered it had a .451" groove and a .457" chamber throating.....
Old 06-15-2008, 01:55 PM

By your own admission you were talking about rifles, now you want to talk pistols....

Make up my mind, please.........
Old 06-15-2008, 02:07 PM

I appreciate the replies. I thought about posting earlier to clear up a few things, but I think I learned a lot more by being vaque with my initial post then letting this thread run its course. I'm buying factory bullets rather than casting my own, and I'll be shooting them in a revolver rather than a rifle. So you guys already gave me the answer I was looking for, and luckily the answer will be saving me money. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

"and I'll be shooting them in a revolver rather than a rifle."

Somehow, I got the idea wewere talking about handgun bullets......