HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is there an argument for banning carbons for hunting?
Old 06-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: Is there an argument for banning carbons for hunting?

ORIGINAL: Swift Arrow

I just don't think that aluminum arrows fly as true as carbons do ......
Umm, in most cases an aluminum will fly better because like we have said they usually have better tolerances and quality control. You have to spend quite a bit of money to get really good carbons that would compare to some of the cheapest aluminums as far as quality control and consistency goes. That is one of the reasons I use them, they are just a great value. I have had Jazz youth arrows that performed better than midgrade target Goldtips. Really pissed some guys off too when we put them on the arrow spinner and my kiddy arrows were straighter than their target arrows were. Carbons get better every year though, I will give them that.

Is aluminum a heavier arrow? Sure. Does it necessarily mean that it hits with more KE? I cannot make that statement. Just because it is heavier does it hit harder than a more durable material like carbon? I do not know.

Well, I do. Of course the heavier aluminum arrow will hit harder and have more KE out of the same bow, it will have more momentum as well which is even more important. It is simple science a heavier object propelled with the same amount of energy will retain that energy longer and have more resistance to slowing down or stopping than a ligther object will. The material really doesn't matter a whole lot. It does to a point, but if the arrows are of the same spine it shouldn't be a big factor. Now if one arrow had a much weaker spine than the other it might effect penetration depending on what it hits. Spine determines how the arrow flexes, if one arrow flexes less than the other than it has a different spine, I don't care what it's made out of. When you see pictures of aluminum arrows hitting a target and whipping around, then a carbon arrow hitting the same target but not doing it chances are the spine was diffrerent. If it doesn't flex the same when it hits something, it's not going to flex the same coming out of your bow either.

Paul