HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is there an argument for banning carbons for hunting?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Matt / PA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is there an argument for banning carbons for hunting?

Carbon arrows will take a tremendous amount of abuse head on.........laterally I don't think that they are any more durable than an aluminum arrow.
You wanna test that if it's bothering you go buy a 2315 aluminum shaft and a comparably spined carbon shaft and whip them sideways into a tree. See which one breaks first and how much force it takes to break one vs the other.
IMO (no offense) worrying about a deer being able to reach and "break off" a non lethal arrow is an extremely trivial notion.Think about just where an arrow has to be located to be a concern? Where can an arrow be lodged that it won't come out or break of through contact and movement that will also NOT kill the deer at the same time.
A shoulder hit that doesn't reach vitals is only going to penetrate an inch or so, the general movement and contact with brush is gonna break or dislodge that arrow in short order.
Where exactly are you picturing an arrow STUCK in a deer that except for rare cases is a concern for the non hunting general public? I have been bowhunting for 23 years and in my circle of friends I can tell you that NONE of us has ever seen or heard of a deer running around with an arrow stuck in it. That's ALOT of bowhunting experience.
I'm sure it can happen but you really need to find something else to worry about..........this one is of extremely little significance and relevance from my experience.