HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which one should I buy?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 05:51 PM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which one should I buy?

WTG,

Says they're pending Gov Dave's signature, but looks like there are some changes to how the "legal calibers" have been described before.

Looking at the latest General WY hunting regulations, CH 32, Section 4(b), it appears that any cartridge of at least 35/100" (.35) generating at least 500 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards is legal. Bouncing that off the standard Remington.com ballistics website, it appears there's only one factory loading, with a 160-grain bullet, which meets that standard. Seems it used to specify which handgun calibers were legal, and that list included the .357 Maximum, but not the Magnum. Not all of our fish cops are friendly when it comes to handguns.The janitor in the building I used to work in accompanied his son and friends after filling his own tag, carrying a 9mm "for protection". G&F didn't buy it, gave him a citation. That was a number of years ago, though. He was going to fight it, but I never heard the final outcome.

Contrast that with the .44 Magnum, which easily meets that criteria in most loadings. Meeting that standard with a .357 is probably going to require stiff handloads, which may reduce the service life of the revolver as well as push you toward less-than-safe conditions.

Since you mentioned shooting does (where you become subject to the big game laws), I'd say you really have just one choice - the .44 Magnum. I have a Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag (blue) with a 5-1/2 inch barrel and it really gets your attention, would definitely recommend you put something other than wood grips on it or it rolls in your hand under recoil.Great gun, but I much prefer my Redhawk.

Reloading-wise, you might compare the cylinders the next time you can put a Smith next to a comparable Ruger. Though the Rugers often don't seem to be as "refined" (trigger, etc.) as the Smiths, as an example, my Redhawk has considerably thicker cylinder walls than my buddies' Smith and Wesson M629 and Dan Wesson. I think the Ruger will stand up to stiff handloads more safely - at least I didn't worry as much asmy buddiesdid.

(Edit)

Checked the old regulations and it indicates a "general" standard of .45 caliber, 240 grain bullets, but specifically allows .44 Mag, .41 Mag, .50 AE, and .357 Maximum, but not the .357 Magnum.