HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - [Deleted]
Thread: [Deleted]
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 10:54 AM
MGH_PA
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When you call during a turkey hunt.....

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

especially for bow hunters, when every extra yard counts.

Do you make aggressive clucks and purrs ?

Here is my reasoning. Most turkey hunters say they call soft for the first few days, aggressive for the bulk of the season and then softly again towards the end. Well, thats wrong...

Ive have yet to see a hunter whom correctly utilizes clucks and purrs. Most get out tehre and go right for the heavy calls and then wonder why toms hold up.

I see and/or hear turkey during almost every deer hunt..I started to notice that their calls are VERY soft and sutble, most of the time.

and, I was just outside shooting my bow. I was listening to my chickens and I started to think. some of the sounds chickens make are the exact same as a turkey. And while feeding, they are very subtle and soft.

So, who utilizes very soft and subtle clucks and purrs ? I sure as heck do and I feel that it constructs a more realistic and convincingaudio picture for an old tom. I tend to use these softer calls more than anything else. Also, I set up close to the roost, so these calls can be heard.

I've seen a lot of turkey hunt videos, and MOST of the hunters revert to a softer subtle purr as the turkey closes the distance. For ME, in my two years limited experience, once the bird comes into viewing distance, I SHUTUP. I make their curiousity lure them in.

I will call aggressive to get a roosted response, then stop for 15minutes or so, then give a few cuts/yelps, then once they're in view, I'm done. It's better to call too little than too much.

As for getting close to the roost, I would say get as close as you can without risking the chance of being busted.