Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 05-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When you call during a turkey hunt.....

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

especially for bow hunters, when every extra yard counts.

Do you make aggressive clucks and purrs ?

Here is my reasoning. Most turkey hunters say they call soft for the first few days, aggressive for the bulk of the season and then softly again towards the end. Well, thats wrong...

Ive have yet to see a hunter whom correctly utilizes clucks and purrs. Most get out tehre and go right for the heavy calls and then wonder why toms hold up.

I see and/or hear turkey during almost every deer hunt..I started to notice that their calls are VERY soft and sutble, most of the time.

and, I was just outside shooting my bow. I was listening to my chickens and I started to think. some of the sounds chickens make are the exact same as a turkey. And while feeding, they are very subtle and soft.

So, who utilizes very soft and subtle clucks and purrs ? I sure as heck do and I feel that it constructs a more realistic and convincingaudio picture for an old tom. I tend to use these softer calls more than anything else. Also, I set up close to the roost, so these calls can be heard.

I've seen a lot of turkey hunt videos, and MOST of the hunters revert to a softer subtle purr as the turkey closes the distance. For ME, in my two years limited experience, once the bird comes into viewing distance, I SHUTUP. I make their curiousity lure them in.

I will call aggressive to get a roosted response, then stop for 15minutes or so, then give a few cuts/yelps, then once they're in view, I'm done. It's better to call too little than too much.

As for getting close to the roost, I would say get as close as you can without risking the chance of being busted.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

My name gives me away!

BUT, you can over call, and you can call too loud. However, I have seen way too many hens call too much and sound terrible to stop me from calling. Calling is ALMOSR ALL in the cadence.

It is my opinion that LOTS of hunters hunt gobbles, not gobblers.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I generally dont need to call to the roosted birds, I set up kind of in an ambush.
Me too. I don't even like to get very close. I used to do that, but you'd be surprized how a turkey can determine somethings up from their roost. I used to do it, but 90% of the time the turkey would fly down on the complete opposite side of the tree and glide a long ways.[:@]
Old 05-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

I agree
For the most part the tom knows where you are at as soon as you make the first call. I yelp a couple times then don't do anything for maybe 15 minutes. Then I will throw in a very soft purr. Most of the time the tom will answer.After that I just sit there. Usually after a while the tom will come in looking for the hen.
Most people do overcall the birds.