HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - central florida public land
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Chuck7
Dominant Buck

Default RE: central Florida public land

Threee Lakes..sorry. [&:]I was only up there once.I'm a birder as well and the vice president of Audubon drove me there to help me add some birds to my Bird Lifelist..I was able to get the Bachman's Sparrow.and the Whooping Cranes.

I was hoping for the Red Cockaded Woodpecker, Grasshopper Spearrow ,Snail kite and a Crested Caracara...but they did not cooperate.As we drove through Three Lakes though a big 8 point buck ran across the trail in front of us.I also saw a few turkeys. Getting there is a pain for me..You have to drive completely south thriugh Polk County on highway 60 across the Kissemme River..then at Yeehaw junction you drive north on 471 about 15 miles as Rebel pointed out. When I was there some of the roads were grass and wet..my vehicle doesn't like wet grassy roads. You can also get there another way..by St. Cloud from the Disney area.It's a good 60 miles from my house..and there are no shortcuts..

It takes a long time to really do a WMA justice..with the gas prices I'm just hunting the Green Swamp.It's only 26 miles away and there is game there..the place is tough because of the pressure, deer are mostly nocturnal and they go DEEP and THICK for shelter...
but it's making a better hunter out of me. I plan to have 2 different wheel barrows hidden and locked up out there..my spots are very far off the road. I mostly try and hunt during the week days to advoid the crowds.

Here's a Crested Caracara