HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Paper patching bullets, Pictures! LONG
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 05:03 AM
idahoron
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Paper patching bullets, Pictures! LONG

Underclocked
1-The type of paper I am using right now is a 25% cotton paper called "air mail paper" I got this from a second hand store but the original sale sticker said Boise State U on it. I have also seen the 25 % in paper supply stores. A guy can get up to 100 % cotton paper.
2-I don't cut off the tail. I tried it and thebullet pushed through the paper when reloading.
3-I got my pattern for the bullets from a Pattern I bought from the company "midway" after I got the .458 pattern I made adjustments to make it work for a 50 cal. Depending on the length of the bullet, you have to change the width of the paper. The long 475 grwhitworth bullet needs a wider paper than the .386 grbullet does
4- Before I wrap the bullets I size the .459 dia bullets to .454, and then to .451, then I wrap the bullets in the paper and size to .454, and then to .451 again. So I am actually sizing them twice.
5- I use Hornady great plains lube.
6-unlike the movie I do end up with rifling marks.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

MLkeith
1- The bullets are snug going down the barrel. The paper swells up I think just a little. The bullet is tight enough I don't think anything less than dropping a gun on its muzzle a couple times would bring the bullet off the bore.
2-When The powder goes off the bullet sets back and engages the riflings.
3- the paper patch works like a patch on a PRB. it works the same way. The paper protects the bullet form the gas and metal, and the paper keeps the lead from touching the bore, so no lead fouling is in the rifle.
Ron