HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Paper patching bullets, Pictures! LONG
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 09:21 PM
idahoron
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Paper patching bullets, Pictures! LONG

I have tried about everything. I have lead that is 12 BHN and some that is even 22 BHN. I tried a blend of Dentist lead and my soft lead that came up with a BHN of about 9 to 10.
What I found with the 45 was if I cleaned after every shot they wereaccurate but hard to get down the barrel.
With the soft lead paper patched bullets I can shoot at least 6 times without cleaning and still keep a group under 2" at 100 yards. As a rule the harder the lead the bigger the need to clean after every shot. I can't clean after every shot in the field so I needed a load that would shoot at least 3 shots in a sub 2" groups at 100 yards, these bullets beat that.
I can only size down to .451 and when I was sizing with the paper on and HARD lead it stripped off some of the paper. The hard lead also fouled up my sight settings. The hard lead would weigh 375 gr or less and the soft lead weigh 386.
I quit shooting different lead because it never shot in the same place. Now my 45 LOVES 475 gr Lyman whitworth bullets made out of chilled lead shot. I got sub 1.5" groups at 100 yards with those about any time.
After I got to paper patching the Lee bullets I didn't mess around with different moulds much, but I got a bunch of them. Ron