HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cast 38-55 gas -checks?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 03:41 PM
HEAD0001
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cast 38-55 gas -checks?

ORIGINAL: rafsob

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

When I wrote my second post I meant to write it with respect. I hope it was taken that way. I also write this reply with complete respect, so please accept it as such.

I have seen some nasty things done to barrels with improper wadding being used. That is why I said I would never consider a metal GC. IMO you are basically adding an additional projectile, and you are putting it inside the case. I avoid any filler's or even wads inside the case. Are they safe?? Yes-but only if applied properly. That is when I brought up beginner reloaders. I would hate to see a beginner "Ring" a perfectly good firearm due to inexperience. That was my only point.

I am sure you know of what you speak.

I have pushed pure lead up to 1650 fps without any leading problems. I do not think you would have any problem at all with 1300 fps. But this is just my opinion. Tom.
With all due respect pardner and I say this with tongue in cheek, butyou may need to take up underwater basket weaving which may be a bit more safer - if you think this procedure unsafe!

I don't think I ever heard of anyone being worried about a wad in a BPCR shell. Thatis a standard way of loading BP cartridges. To actually load BP without a wad is asking for a leading problem. If I remember right one of the BP Kahunas, Mr. Sam Fadala, uses and recommends this method for reloading BP cartridges.

I would agree with you if I was talking about BP loads. However the post is not about BP loads. You injected BP loads. The author is talking about smokeless loads.

Basically when you do your BP load you are compressing the load and using a wad as a buffer between your powder and your bullet. Correct?? So therefore air space is not a problem.

Unlike a smokeless load where some reloader's try to use a faster burning powder so that they can save money by using a faster burning powder. When they are only putting a small amount of powder in the large 45-70 case they can create a powder position problem. Correct?? I would rather spend a little more on powder and try to fill the case(as much as possible). This way I can avoid using fillers or wadding.

Again I am not questioning their use, I am saying that it is not a good thing for beginning reloader's to try. Especially witout an expanded explanation?? Do you really disagree with this??

I am by no means a reloading expert. But I do have 4-45/70's, and I have been reloading, and casting smokeless and BP loads for more years than I care to talk about. I have been lucky and never had any problems. But I have also never used fillers, wadding or even wads. Even in my BP loads. But then I am no expert competitor either. Just an every day hunter and shooter.

I did try Puf-Lon one time, boy was that a mess. And I am fibbing a bit because I do use a filler for my Gallerey loads. Tom.