HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cast 38-55 gas -checks?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 09:02 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cast 38-55 gas -checks?

"I have seen some nasty things done to barrels with improper wadding being used. That is why I said I would never consider a metal GC. IMO you are basically adding an additional projectile, and you are putting it inside the case. I avoid any filler's or even wads inside the case. Are they safe?? Yes-but only if applied properly. That is when I brought up beginner reloaders. I would hate to see a beginner "Ring" a perfectly good firearm due to inexperience. That was my only point."

I certainly did not take any offense at all to your post-as a matter of fact, I was aware that some people have apparently had barrel-ring problems from the use of some kinds of fillers,so I know it has happened. I am not exactly sure what the rest of their load consisted of, so I cannot guarantee that my use of an inverted gascheck would not produce such a problem-all I can say is that it hasn't done it YET in any of my guns. Guess that's little comfort, and certainly NOT a guarantee!

What I can say is that wadding has been used in black-powder cartridgessince at least the days of the .577 Snider, and probably before, with perfect satisfaction. But these max out at 25,000 PSI or less. When one gets into the field of cast-bullet smokeless loads, as Pavomesa commented, "alot of it is witchcraft"!

(I too have used gaschecks in handgun cartridges to malke shot loads-a GC under the shot charge, and one crimped on top. Worked fine in .45 Colt with 8 grains of Unique for the propelling charge.)