HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cast 38-55 gas -checks?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 05:24 AM
rafsob
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cast 38-55 gas -checks?

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

When I wrote my second post I meant to write it with respect. I hope it was taken that way. I also write this reply with complete respect, so please accept it as such.

I have seen some nasty things done to barrels with improper wadding being used. That is why I said I would never consider a metal GC. IMO you are basically adding an additional projectile, and you are putting it inside the case. I avoid any filler's or even wads inside the case. Are they safe?? Yes-but only if applied properly. That is when I brought up beginner reloaders. I would hate to see a beginner "Ring" a perfectly good firearm due to inexperience. That was my only point.

I am sure you know of what you speak.

I have pushed pure lead up to 1650 fps without any leading problems. I do not think you would have any problem at all with 1300 fps. But this is just my opinion. Tom.
With all due respect pardner and I say this with tongue in cheek, butyou may need to take up underwater basket weaving which may be a bit more safer - if you think this procedure unsafe!

I don't think I ever heard of anyone being worried about a wad in a BPCR shell. Thatis a standard way of loading BP cartridges. To actually load BP without a wad is asking for a leading problem. If I remember right one of the BP Kahunas, Mr. Sam Fadala, uses and recommends this method for reloading BP cartridges.